The Blackpool Tower Circus opened its doors in 1984 and hasn't missed a season since!
The Circus Heritage
- The Blackpool Tower Circus first opened to the public on 14th May 1894. Admission was from 6d.
- The Blackpool Tower Circus is positioned at the base of the Tower between its four legs.
- Animals have not appeared in the Blackpool Tower Circus from 1990.
- Long before he became famous as a Hollywood film star, the comedian, W.C.Fields, spent a season before the First World War at the Circus as a juggler.
- Bolton comedian Peter Kay performed his show which later became “Live from the Top of the Tower” on 10th-11th April 2000. It was performed in The Blackpool Tower Circus arena.
- The Blackpool Tower Circus has never missed a season since it began in 1894.
- The present interior of the Circus was created by the famous theatre designer, Frank Matcham, and was completed in 1900.
- For each era of The Blackpool Tower Circus there has been a resident clown. Today it is Mooky, but previous generations laughed at the antics of August & September, Doodles and the well remembered Charlie Cairoli.
- When flooded, the Circus ring can hold up to 42,000 gallons of water to a depth of 4 feet 6 inches.
- Sporting events that have been held in the circus ring include boxing, wrestling and snooker.
Dating back to 1894, The Blackpool Tower Ballroom is world famous for its unique sprung dance floor and spectacular architecture and remains to this day a destination for dance fans from across the globe.
THE BLACKPOOL TOWER EYE
Then take a trip 380ft into the sky to the top of The Blackpool Tower and experience the thrilling SkyWalk. Walk out if you dare onto the five centimetre thick glass viewing platform, where you can look out into the Irish Sea and see the famous Blackpool Promenade below you.